Monday 5 September 2011

For The Beauty Of The Earth

Today, Drew, Kinsey, Brayden, Mitch and I went to Waterton for the day. And what a beautiful day!!! The sun was shining and the breeze was gentle and refreshing. I love Waterton and feel so blessed to live so close to such natural beauty.

We climbed up Red Rock Canyon, literally up the canyon. I only made it part of the way up because at one point climbing up a jagged rock face is the only path to continue on. I was certain I could get up, but very unsure about coming back down. So, fearing for my own life I stayed behind while the others went on ahead. You might think that I would get bored sitting by myself, but if that is what you think you would be wrong in this case. I really enjoyed the time to myself. I built a rock sculpture, acted as a greeter for other hikers who reached that point in the canyon, listened to the wind rustle through the leaves over my head, threw rocks in the swirling water and just sat and thought.

I know that I don't take enough time to just sit and be still. The Psalmist wrote, "Be still and know that I am God." Perhaps thinking of this verse and recalling now how at peace and how in tune with myself and with the Holy Ghost I felt today, I need to make a more conscientious effort to get to "know" God by being more still. In a world of noise, impulse, and instant messaging, taking time to sit quietly seems like a luxury. I do know that I can make time for this type of worship. That I need to make time for it.

I am grateful today for choosing to be left behind and for the time to contemplate not only the beauty around me, but the simplicity of God's voice. I am grateful for time spent thinking and the clarity of thought and the Spirit that accompanied this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment