Friday 26 August 2011

Strong Women

This weekend, a group of women from church and I, went on a Relief Society Retreat to Badger Valley Ranch near Beazer. On our way to the cabin, we saw this old chicken coop leaning precariously in a pasture. I knew the moment I saw it that we could make a funny picture from it. Megan, Ashley and I posed as if pushing it over. Yes, we are strong women!

As the evening progressed and into the next day, together with the other girls, I laughed, cried, shared my hopes, fears, joys and testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And, now looking back on the weekend and thinking about this picture, I know that I was surrounded by strong women.

They are not necessarily women of great physical strength, but women who are strong because of the strength of their testimony of Jesus Christ. Women who face trials head on, knowing that they have a Heavenly Father who loves them and who promises them that no matter what obstacle they face in life that they can overcome it because He will be their strength. Women who understand that even during the hardest times in their lives, in times of uncertainty, weakness and struggle, that they can overcome anything. And that as they humble themselves and have faith in Jesus Christ that they can be strong.

The Lord himself, taught this very principle to a prophet named Ether who lived and taught his people nearly 1600 years ago.

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." Ether 12:27

It was this weekend, and is my privilege every day to be surrounded by strong women.

No comments:

Post a Comment