Monday 29 August 2011

A Pair of Boots

I love cowboy boots! This pair belonged to my Dad. And photographing five pairs of his boots to sell on kijiji for my Mum reminded me of him. He didn't wear anything else...I am not even sure that he had another type of shoe. Wait, that's not true, he did have multiple pairs of gum boots!

My dad was a hard worker. He was strong. He was, in a big way, rough around the edges. He was a fiercely loyal friend. He was brutally honest. He was quiet. He had his struggles like the rest of us, but he was a good man. He was a good Dad. And I love him!

When I look at these boots I remembered all of all these things, and many more. I wonder if he would be proud of my life and the things that I have accomplished. I wonder what advice he might have for me. I wonder how my life would be different if he were still in it. One thing I don't have to wonder about is what he would be doing right now. He would be checking his cows or baling some hay. He might even be shooting some gophers. These things I am sure of. These things, and even these silly old boots make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment