Saturday 27 August 2011

Big Rocks

I gave a lesson today at the retreat about priorities. The object lesson I used was this jar of rocks. I piled them all up and asked if they would fit in the jar. I could see that some of the girls were skeptical that they would fit. They do of course, I had tried it earlier, but they only fit if you put the big rocks in first, the medium sized rocks second, and then the small rocks last.

The jar represents our life. The rocks represent all those things that we do in life, or our priorities. So, the lesson is that only by putting the "big rocks" or the biggest priorities first can we fit everything into our lives.

A big rock in my life is my family. I love my Mum and my brother and his girlfriend. I am grateful for their support and hope that I am a support to them. We have so much fun together. I know that no matter what happens in my life that they care about me and want the best for me. We have gone through some difficult challenges together, but it has only served to bring us closer and to remind us how important the time we have together is.

Another big rock in my life is my faith. Matthew 6:33 reads, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." This scripture comes during the Sermon on the Mount delivered by the Saviour himself, which means "these things" are the blessings promised in the sermon. Here our Saviour Jesus Christ, pleads for us to be faithful and to make faith and Him a big rock in our lives. I make faith a big rock by praying, reading sacred scripture, attending my church meetings and the temple and doing my best to follow God's commandments.

Other rocks in my jar are my friends, my work, playing the piano, reading good books, making pie, playing games, and swimming. Because I have my big rocks in place there is room for these things, and many more.

I challenge you to record what you are doing with your time for a week. Those things that we spend our time doing are our priorities, I know that is true. Then, once having recorded how you spend your time, decide if you need to change or realign your priorities. Try to do the most of the best things, lots of the better things and good things that you enjoy too!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to see that you are making more posts. This post is AWESOME, thanks!

    ReplyDelete