Sunday 28 August 2011

Nice, Nice France that is...

So, I must confess that I did not take this picture today, but I wanted to post it anyways. This is almost exactly how that place is captured in my mind. (One small addition and it would be the perfect shot!) The sea, the stony beach, and in the back of this photo my favourite place to spend my time. I used to sit on a bench near that circular wall for hours. I would watch people, listen to a variety of languages, and think about my life, who I was there and who I wanted to become when I left that place.

I was thinking today about how much I miss Nice!! I miss my friend Adel. I miss conversation in French and English and a mash-up of the two. I miss learning about other cultures and religions. I miss long walks along the Promenade with no where in particular to go and feeling like I had all the time in the world. I miss my host mum, Marie. I miss her cooking, her frank way of speaking, her surprises and most of all her laughter. I miss being at school, and feeling challenged to become better, to learn more, to take risks, and to not be afraid of making mistakes. And, maybe more than any of these things, I miss who I was in Nice. Still the same Jen, but different somehow. Different in a way that sitting here now, I can't even explain.

I miss Nice!!!! And so I hope that it's not cheating to post a picture that I took almost 6 months ago now, but even if it is, I needed to post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment