Tuesday 23 August 2011

O CANADA


I am so proud to be Canadian. As Terri Clark says, "I am a Northern Girl". I am proud to be from a country of acceptance, peacekeeping and hockey. I am proud to sew a Canadian flag on my backpack and know that because of this symbol I will be received warmly where ever I am.
It seems that everyone, everywhere, recognizes the maple leaf and therefore recognizes me.

Traveling is important to me. When we travel we learn about other cultures, religion, customs and people...not to mention that we learn a LOT about ourselves. I have travelled extensively since I finished high school, but I have always known that I would come home. How could I not?

I love the maple leaf, and when I saw this flag waving nobly in the Southern Alberta wind just a block from my house, I had to stop and try and capture it's beauty. Often, as I travel around the world I stop to take pictures of the country's flag. Most recently I photographed the French flag, the Spanish flag, and the flag from the Principality of Monaco. The only other time I have taken a picture of a Canadian flag was at Vimy Ridge. For Canada, the Battle at Vimy Ridge is a significant historical moment. Some have even declared this battle to be Canada's birth of a nation. So too is it significant to France. The land surrounding the ridge itself and the monument built there was given by the French to Canada. There, the Canadian flag is flanked by a French flag and the Canadian Red Ensign.

As humans we ascribe meaning to symbols. For me, the Canadian flag represents freedom. It means peace. It signifies respect and dignity for all people from all places. It represents Canada's beauty and an abundance of natural places. It stands for courtesy and quiet confidence. It represents diversity and a celebration of differences. I LOVE CANADA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment